Guide: 5=Perfect; 3=Good; 1=Poor
Pros: What do you like about your 2006 Ford Escape?
1. Good acceleration.
2, Good all-around vision.
3. Not bad (could be better) gas mileage.
4. Good brakes.
5. Nice factory stereo.
Cons: How would you improve your 2006 Ford Escape?
1. Lousy seat material - water "stains" it. I think Ford bought this stuff while their procurement guy was drunk!
2. Recurring problem: "Low pressure tire light" flashes on dash although tires have the right air pressure.
3. Tie-down nylon straps in trunk instead of steel anchors (like my old Chevy Blazer had). I hate cheap replacements; "chinsy" substitute.
3. Previous owner's reports of engine and transmission failures and their respective high replacement costs have me worried...
4. Why is it that the new Escapes (2013) can give just as good performance as the 6 cylinder but a lot better gas mileage? - I'm not rushing to get the new one yet, I'll wait till a few owners post their results after 1 year of ownership... then decide.
5. LOUSY vent controls - will not completely close and will travel only very short distance so one does not really control air.
6. No interior air recirculation button. My wife's Focus wagon has this feature, and its really neat because in the summer, the AC cools the air a lot faster. Can't understand why Ford dropped this neat feature from the Escape.
7. Seats are a too short in length, (don't provide good leg support) and a little too stiff for long trips. After the first hour of driving I find myself shifting a lot in the seat - sore spots caused by too rigid upholstery.
8. Sort of "grinding" or amplified vibration coming through the steering wheel while accelerating (could be the tires, but I'm not sure) that thankfully, disappears after reaching highway speed.
2006 Ford Escape Review:
A mixed blessing - better gas mileage than my old Blazer - but very short of what I expected. Good performance from the engine & tranny but reliability concerns make me wonder if the trade I made was worth it. Those Blazers would last two lifetimes - if taken care of.
For now, I'm satisfied, but I'm going to have to play it safe and down the road in perhaps a year or so, trade once again.
Rate this review: